Thursday, April 28, 2011

Thoughts on "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" Remakes

So, in case you haven't heard, the American remake of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is coming out this December.  Now, I typically don't like the idea of remaking a movie that came out just two years ago.  However, I am slightly intrigued by the idea of this remake.  I'm also a little worried.  Here's why.

First of all, Trent Reznor will be doing the soundtrack for the remake.  Considering the first one didn't even have a soundtrack (I think), this is a pretty cool plus.  Also, Trent Reznor is the shit.  He is the greatest artist of our generation.  If you feel differently, you're wrong.  It's not Kanye.  Shut up.

After all, T Rez (those in the know call him T Rez) won an Oscar for that facebook movie that I didn't watch.

Trent Reznor even looks like the chick from the Swedish movie.

Also, I'm kind of excited because David Fincher is directing the remake.  In case you've forgotten, Fincher did Fight Club, a favorite of teenage males everywhere, and Se7en, a favorite of teenage males everywhere.  So, it's pretty clear he has some range.  He will also, no doubt, try to remake The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo as darker and edgier.  He gives me hope because he's made some good movie (Fight Club, Alien 3), although he has also made a few heaping piles of etc. (Panic Room, The Curious Case of Benjamin "I'm trying to win an Oscar" Button).



The new girl they cast seems all right.  But, Noomi Rapace is a tough act to follow.  And I've never actually seen Rooney Mara in anything before.  It does look like she transitioned from nice girl to tough girl pretty smoothly.

My greatest concern about this film is that it just seems so unnecessary.  The Swedish ones were awesome.  So, what could the difference really be?  Is this just a cheesy attempt to try to reach a wider audience by remaking it in English designed for an American audience.  Probably, and that's lame.

Also, the new one has Daniel Craig set to play Blomquist.  That guy has as much acting range as a rock.

So, what do you think?  Who saw the Swedish ones?  What would you like to see out of the American versions?

19 comments:

  1. can't wait, i love trent's stuff. he is very talented

    ReplyDelete
  2. i didn't see the Swedish one, prolly will watch the remake

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never seen the swedish version, but I'll be checking it out before the remake! Btw if Trent Reznor is making the soundtrack, I'm sold!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow is the old one seriously only two years old? I could have swore it was like at least five ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. American versions of any movie seem to suck terribly

    ReplyDelete
  6. good stuff, thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow I thought it was older than that, really cool movie though. Hopefully they can pull it off with the American version.

    ReplyDelete
  8. worth the wait i guess, nice review though

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice blog.. I might have to disagree with "T-Rez" being the greatest artist of our generation, though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. didn't the original just come out pretty recently? hmmm.. not sure how i feel about this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i lol'd at benjamin button, could not agree more with that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. im not going to call him t-rez. sorry.

    but yeah the original was soooo good. i hate that americans always feel the need to crap all over art like that

    ReplyDelete
  13. No car chases or bar fights in it, so I doubt I'll see either one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't think I've ever seen a good american remake.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeah, I couldn't believe when I heard they were remaking a movie from 2 years ago, but we'll see how good it is!

    ReplyDelete